Ministry of Water and Energy officials on Wednesday said on Wednesday that work on two power projects that were delayed for security reasons had started. The projects are aimed at increasing electricity supply to Laghman and Kunduz provinces.
In an interview with Pajhwok Afghan News, Deputy Minister Ghulam Farooq Qazizada said the two schemes included extension of power lines from Naghlo dam in Sarobi district of Kabul to Laghman and Nangarhar province — about 30 percent of work had been completed earlier.
This project would be completed within the next three months, he said, recalling security conditions previously halted the work, but situation had improved considerably this year. This scheme costing $70 million (3.4 billion afs) is funded by the Manila-based Asian Development Bank.
Once the project is commissioned, 16,000 families would benefit from it in Jalalabad, the capital of Nangarhar, and another 8,000 homes in Mehtarlam, Laghman, he said.
Work on the second power project was launched in northern Kunduz province. Once the reconstruction of the dam’s canal and installation of two turbines is completed, more than 10,000 residents of Khanabad district will benefit from it.
This German-funded project would account for $40 million, said the deputy minister.
Meanwhile, Qazizada said that the ministry planned to begin upgrading an existing power project in Chak district of central Maidan Wardak province. The plan was delayed due to security risks.
He said the upgrades needed three million euros and Germany would finance the project. According to the official, currently 200 families are benefitting from the dam but, once upgraded, it could help more than 1,200 families in the province.